A few days before my birthday this year I tried to remember where I thought I would be around this time. Although I couldn’t remember what I thought verbatim, I knew it involved being married with a few kids and whatnot. I also remember thinking, “Gosh, I’m gonna be old.” To be quite honest, I don’t feel old at all…at all. And no, this isn’t a mind game I’m playing to feel better about my age. I’ve actually been looking forward to turning 30 ever since my birthday last year. I think deep down inside I really wanted to skip over year 29 and go straight to 30. But there were so many lessons learned in year 29 that I’m actually glad God’s never given us the power to press the Fast Forward button in life.
This past year has been filled with so many adjustments, transitions, and changes. It’s taught me the patience I know I’ll need this upcoming year now that I’ll be living in Los Angeles. CRAZY! I know that this upcoming year won’t be an easy one, but Lord, this thick skin I’ve grown has gotten me allllllll the way together in the most serious way. Of course, it’s not always easy to roll with the punches of life and “just go with it”. But I’ve truly learned what the grace of God looks like and that it really is always there for me. Knowing that has brought so much peace to my life.
A week ago, I posted on my IG six mantras I’ve been really living by in the last year of my 20’s. These mantra’s have gotten me through the last eight years of my life, and I plan on holding on to them through my 30’s. Feel free to give them a once over, as I’m sure they’ll be a blessing to you! Also, if any of you guys have any advice for a gal entering into her 30’s, PLEASE feel free to post them in the comments section below! Take care guys!
1. CREATEI have always been a creative person. Even before I actually realized it. I’ve also been blessed to marry one so our home is FILLED with ideas, thoughts, song writing, screenwriting, art, makeup stuff, film, etc, etc. Every single day I’m inspired by art and the incredible beauty that is created through it. Never stop creating guys…no matter what your niche is. Never.
2. YOUR JOURNEY IS YOUR JOURNEYIn a world where technology has made it so easy to compare your life to others’, it’s important to stay focused on YOUR journey. Everyone won’t learn the same lessons as you, won’t have the same experiences, won’t even have the same blessings or let downs. And that’s OK! Love yourself for who you are and for who God’s made you to be. What’s YOUR purpose? Where is YOUR journey taking you??
3.EVERY RELATIONSHIP ISN’T MEANT TO LAST FOREVERThis is one of the best (and hardest) things I’ve had to learn over the years. But truth be told…some relationships last a lifetime, and some only a small season. And guess what? That’s ok too.
4. LEAPI’m definitely living this right now. I even wrote my previous blog post about it. With my husband and I moving to a different state, there have definitely been some points of fear. But we’ve managed to keep knocking down those walls and are excited to be making this great leap to LA. Whatever you’re prepping for, don’t let fear intimidate you. Go after it. Leap!
5. BE NICE TO PEOPLEMy husband always says to me “Babe, you gotta be nice to people”. It may not always be the easiest thing to do , but it does give provision. Certain doors I’ve walked through in life have been simply because I chose to be a nice person. No matter how high you go, how adorned you are, how long the spotlight is on you, if you’re famous, if you have ten, 10,000 or 10,000,000 followers…you’re never too good to be nice to someone.
6. IT’S OK TO BE A LADYAs a teacher to high school girls, I’ve said this at least 200 times. Sometimes girls are so ready to "grow up” and become a ”vixen” that they completely miss out on being loved, admired, and respected for being a beautiful, smart girl. Contrary to popular belief, having a life where you’re always wilding out isn’t admirable. Constantly measuring and posting your waist to hip ration isn’t going to make you beautiful. A potty mouth isn't cute. Knowing what your private body parts look like better than you do isn't cool. A good time doesn't have to include you being inebriated and out of your mind. Of course none of us are perfect and will always get it right. But at least let your stride be toward uplift, self respect, and positivity.
Integrity brings about favor, and favor is worth faaaaar more than money.